Well, Readers/crocheters, I've done better.
Third flake, though!
I don't have a pattern for this yet...because, quite frankly, I'm less than thrilled with the finished product here. I showed this flake to my husband, and he thought the little "moons" were supposed to be birds or Nike swooshes.
The stars might need a bit of tweaking as well. Granted, this flake hasn't been pinned or starched, so we still don't know QUITE what it's going to look like when all finished.
I feel that the middle part could use some visual interest. I have some beads that I could incorporate, OR, I could change the whole dang thing from a 12-pt star to a 10-pt star, putting a little star shape in the middle. I'll play with it and see how I feel :-P
In addition to not being 100% satisfied with the end result, I find that it is super, SUPER hard to put into words how I did the little moons/nikeswooshes/bird things. I probably broke every crochet rule in the book; I was double crocheting in the middle of stitches! YOU'RE NOT SUPPOSED TO DO THAT! SHOCK AND HORROR!
I'll keep on working on this pattern, and will keep you updated, Readers!