Friday, September 2, 2011

Time to finish what I started...

To those of you who read this; my few and silent followers...I need a favor.

I need a motivational kick in the pants.

I have mentioned in other posts that I work with a lot of people who are simply at their "day jobs". I work with a video game/radio voice actress (who is absolutely amazing) and a painter who has his own art gallery. I am also INCREDIBLY lucky to be working with SEVERAL people who have a great interest in the arts, and especially in opera.

I can't tell you how much I appreciate working with people whose understanding of opera comes from more than just Bugs Bunny. I've been singing classical music since I was 12, and have been singing opera since I was 15. I've got to be honest, while I do LOVE singing, I get super nervous and self concious if I'm asked to sing at my full register. In almost every other environment I've worked in (except at QFC, because QFC staff members are AWESOME!) People would ask me to sing, look at me, and ask, "Do people honestly still listen to that stuff?"

Not that I can blame my former coworkers. Opera, if not studied or understood, can be incredibly confusing and frustrating for the viewer. Most operas that are performed (at least in Seattle) are in French, German, or Italian, and if a translation is not provided, it is near impossible for opera viewers to know what the characters are doing on stage. This is why most people in Seattle don't fall all over themselves when they hear that Bizet's Carmen will be playing.

At the law firm, however, there are a few opera nuts. I was having a chat with one of the partners on my coffee break (a patent attourney who loves all things Wagner), and after I mentioned that I had studied opera at Pacific Lutheran, he aksed if I would be so kind as to sing for him. I sang one of my audition pieces, "O Mio Babbino Caro", and even though my voice isnt NEARLY as up to par as it used to be, he told me that I had one of the lovliest soprano voices he had ever heard.

The attourney sent me an email earlier this week, pointing out that the Seattle Opera would be starting its Young Adult Singers program in October. To qualify, you have to be between the ages of 22 an 32 and a Seattle resident. You submit tapes, a headshot, and if they think that you have potential, they invite you for an honest to God audition for the Seattle Opera Company.

Well...I guess that God is trying to tell me something.

....anybody know someone who can do headshots for cheap????

No comments:

Post a Comment