Monday, May 28, 2012

Part of life's eternal rhyme


Black and Yellow garden spider, Arigope aurantia. Finished this one just this afternoon. 

I'll be the first to admit, Readers, that I tend to find beauty in the strangest things. 

I'm working on a new project for my Etsy shop: a set of three embroidered spiders, all among the genus Argiope. These spiders are all known for the beautiful colors on their abdomens, and the striking designs on their webs. 

I hesitate to say that I like spiders. I don't mind when I see a little 8-legged thing scurry along my windowsill, and love seeing a perfectly spun web. I think a more appropriate word is that I appreciate spiders, as my blog name implies. 

Plus, Charlotte's Web has had its impact on me. 



As a kid, I always imagined a spider's voice sounding like Debbie Reynolds. 

My sweet fiance has been helping me work on my drawing skills. The black and yellow garden spider, pictured above, was totally free-handed. 

The process goes down like this: I'll pick a spider, find a good image, and simply sketch what I see until the resulting picture is passable. 



Well, my drawings are still a bit Napoleon-Dynamite-ish...but the above rendition of the St. Andrew's Cross Spider will do. 

Then, I make use of one of my favorite embroidery tools: my iron on transfer pen. I trace my sketch: 


And iron the image onto a swatch of fabric: 


Voila. The Arigope keyserlingi is ready to be stitched.


I'm not sure how I'm going to finish and present these 'lil beasties. I saw that I could get some simple wooden embroidery hoops wholesale, but I'm thinking a small wooden frame might be the best way to go.

I'll keep posting as these guys progress, Readers!

Until next time!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment