Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Sam's Garden flake

Readers, I bring you my first snowflake pattern, inspired by my future sister in law.

My fiance's sister, Sam, is the epitome of the word "giving". She is a full-time Master's student, and when she's not hitting the books, she works as a social worker for a homeless shelter that serves the needy of Boston.

Sam is also an avid gardener. When she's not busy sowing the seeds of peace and charity, she's growing flowers and vegetables of every kind :-)

This is my first flake! Please let me know, Readers, if there are any problems with the pattern as I've only tested it out myself.

The little "Hearts" are shamelessly copied from the very fabulous Snowcatcher (I worship the ground she bikes on). She lists a great tutorial on the hearts here: http://www.snowcatcherphotos.com/blahg/patterns/heart.html


"Sam's Garden".
Materials:
Steel crochet hook, size 8 (.9mm)
DMC size 30 thread
stiffening agent (white glue, cornstarch, white sugar, "stiffen quik" or whatever floats your boat)
Sewing pins that you don't mind ruining
cardboard (a bit of an old shoebox works best for me)
wax paper or parchment paper
Ch 6, form ring.

Rd 1: Ch 3, dc in ring. (ch 3, 2 dc) 5 times, ch3, join with sl st to 3rd ch of beginning ch 3. 6 ch-3 spaces.

Rd. 2: Ch 1, sc in same sp and in next dc. dc, ch 2, dc in next chain 3 sp. [sc in next 2 dc, (dc, ch2, dc) in next ch 3 sp] around. Join with sl st to first sc. 6 ch-2 spaces.

Rd. 3:  sl st to next ch-2 sp. *In ch-2 space work sc, hdc, (ch 9, sl st 7th ch from hook) twice, ch 6, dc 3rd ch from hook and in next 2 ch, ch 5, dc in 3rd ch from hook and in next ch, 1 dc in top half of next dc, 1 sc into same ch as dc just worked into. (Ch 7, sl st 7th ch from hook. sl st in next 2 ch) twice. hdc, sc. Ch 20, sl st in 10th ch from hook, ch 10.  Repeat from * 5 times, sl st into first sc. 6 "heart flowers".

Rd. 4: Ch 1, sc in same st. Working around "heart flower," sc in each of next 3 sts. *~sl st in each of the next 10 ch. In ch-10 loop, work (3 sc, 2 hdc, 3 dc, ch 1, sl st in top of last dc made, 2 dc, 2 hdc, 3sc). Sl st in each of the next 10 ch. ~ Working behind "Heart flower", sc in each of next 4 sts. Repeat from *5 times, Repeat from ~ to ~ one time MORE. Sl st in first sc, bind of and weave in ends.

Cover cardboard with wax (or parchment) paper, tape in place.

Block flake on the cardboard using 12-pt pattern, (google it), pin points and stiffen with whichever method you like :-)

Folks, you can do whatever you like with the flakes you make from this pattern, but please do not republish or sell this pattern. Thanks!

4 comments:

  1. It's GORGEOUS! I can't wait to make it... after Ride the Rockies... But it's beautiful! I love the shape, and I love the prongs with the hearts, almost like tiny little flower hearts growing out of the cold winter as proof of spring!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you so much! If you have any issues with the pattern, please let me know, as I've been the only one to test it!

      Delete
  2. This is a cute flake - I love Snowcatcher's flakes and have copied quite a few! I am not much of an inovator but I love following others artistry. With Disney's Frozen being so popular, I am finding lots of little girls like these hanging from their bedroom ceilings so they can feel like they're in Anna's ice castle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Kelly! I too am completely in love with Snowcatcher's snowflakes!

      I was delighted to see the all of the gorgeous snowflake motifs in Disney's Frozen; I'm thinking of incorporating a few of them in my own designs!

      Delete