Thursday, December 2, 2010

pattern for the zelda bag

Since I finished the lifebar bag, it has become clear to me that there is no way that it can be really functional...I tried putting my wallet/cell phone in there and it sagged and stretched down to my knees, almost.

This bag definatelty needs a liner, and a little bit of fabric stiched over the strap. I'm definately going to make another one, but if I do, I'm going to use a more purse friendly fiber, like a stiff cotton or tweed. The soft wool was not an appropriate fiber. When I first bought the yarn for this project, I had a scarf in mind; however, I came to the realization that:

a. If the scarf were to be about sixty inches long, I would need to make about fifty hearts. Now, I loved playing Zelda, and I loved hunting around for the hidden heart pieces/containers, but I could never get that many and the scarf would end up just looking a bit ridiculous, and

b. When buying the yarn, I wasn't paying close enough attention and didn't buy enough of the black color for even half of a faire isle scarf, let alone a full one.

hence, the bag was born. I'm going to give a shout-out to my fellow knitters in this blogosphere: I'd love to post a color chart for this pattern, but I'm too cheap to get Microsoft office. Does anyone know how I can go about doing it?

As far as other projects go, I'm working on a pair of wool socks that are intended for my wonderful boyfriend. I'm being super careful to not jump the gun with these; I've had a terrible habit of starting the toe way too soon and having socks that are way too short. Here's sock number one:


Not too terribly original; just the basic sock pattern from the "Knitting for Dummies" book, only I used a stockinette stitch for the leg instead of the ribbing pattern (I find that it makes the sock a bit itchy, especially if using wool and this yarn is a little scratchy). Socks are one of my favorite projects though; not too terribly difficult when you get used to turning the heel but enough complication to give me a bit sense of accomplishment. I may not have a Master's degree or make six figures, but I can knit a sock, dammit!

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment