Monday, April 16, 2012

Canvas Bag and a Prayer Request

Hello, Readers.

I've got two things I'd like to blog about today.

First of all, at last, I bring you a finished project.

That, Readers, is a home-made canvas bag.

A few weeks ago, I was overcome with the urge to crochet more lace to add onto my lace mountain (which, because most of the lace pieces have been given away as Christmas gifts, is more of a lace molehill as of late). I resisted the urge to get the organic mo-hair lace weight material, and instead opted for the cheaper, more "environmentally friendly" option: the Aunt Lydia Bamboo thread. I liked this stuff: it was soft, easy to work with, and was a lovely shade of ecru.

I made a doily (along with a couple of others, but I will post those later), and tossed it in my Rubbermaid container designated for finished pieces that have yet to be "blocked". I liked the doily, but it just looked a little bit too, I dunno, "Grandma's Knick-Knack Cabinet" to be set out by itself.

Later, I was lucky enough to stumble upon a free sewing pattern for a basic canvas shopping bag. The pattern can be found here:

http://sewing.about.com/od/bagstotespurseproject/ss/grocerybag.htm

At last! Something I can use these doilies for! I went to my favorite fabric shop (Stitches in Seattle) to pick up the canvas fabric and notions, came home, dragged out Dumpy and went to work furiously measuring, cutting, pinning, and sewing! After the bag itself was finished, I pinned the doily on and appliqued it as best as I could (it wouldn't lay as flat as I'd like, so in some places the doily kind of looks like it's folding over on itself).

The bag isn't perfect, but is one of my better sewing projects (Readers, remind me later to write about the disaster that was the Princess Daisy dress). I'm definitely going to make more.

I also wanted to ask for prayers, Readers.

My mother is going in for infusion therapy (aka chemotherapy) tomorrow.

As some of you know, my mother has been living with Sjogren's syndrome and Sub acute Cutaneous Lupus since I was a teenager. Essentially, her body's immune system can no longer distinguish what to attack...so her white blood cells attack everything. To treat this, her doctors are giving her a drug called Rituximab, which has been shown to have promising results when used to treat autoimmune disorders.

The side effects of the drug are not pretty. As I wrote above, this is chemotherapy. My mom has been firing on all cylinders to try to diffuse my "freak out" moments in regards to her health, but I have google at my disposal and I know what this drug does. Essentially she'll be feeling like a cancer patient does when getting chemo.

My mom blogs about life with auto-immune disease here.
http://reasonablywell-julia.blogspot.com/

Keep her in your prayers, Readers, if you pray.

<3

No comments:

Post a Comment